martes, 4 de septiembre de 2007

A new Home





I finally arrived in Japan. まさか。I am so tired it's unbelievable. The flight was fourteen hours long and I just about fell down with jet lag when I got off the plane. It was great because I was able to meet up with Mallory and Kevin on the plane to Nagoya and we had a grand olde time on the plane..surrounded by Japanese and a few other nationalities. Wakae, my host mother, is amazing! I can't believe I have been placed with such a nice family! From the moment I arrived she has been nothing but the most accommodating and kind person that anyone could ask for. Her husband, Shigeharu, is also amazing! He has sooooo much energy! I have seen many 20-year olds that have less energy than him. He's up, he's down, he's everywhere and busy, busy, busy! The best part though is that he is crazy nice and wants to learn English almost as much as I want to learn Japanese! He throws our English now and then and it's pretty good too. I am amazed.
Last night Wakae made the most amazing dinner. The problem was that I was more tired than hungry so much of it went untouched. ざねんだ。 
Today Wakae and I went to the station together to map out my route to 南山大学 and I must admit that although it wasn't all that confusing, I was thoroughly confused. It's all in Japanese after all. We got there fine and I met up with Mallory and found out the time that I had to be at the University for the test tomorrow. よかった!I think I finally figured out the route the second time on the way back but now she's telling me that a friend of hers found an easier route and so my route is going to change a bit over the next couple days. it's cool.
What I think I'm going to really like about this trip is that their next-door neighbor is her daugher and three of her grandchildren. They are sooo nice! Chieko is their daughter's name. Her three children are Rieko, Kento, and Setsuki. They have all been very receptive to me, especially Kento. Setsuki is opening up a bit after a day. I hardly see Rieko. Chieko is amazingly nice and reminds me a lot of Claudia with her looks and countenance.
This entry is going to be pretty scatterbrained as the days' experiences return to me...forgive me. I was so tired last night I went to bed around 9:30. I woke up around 6:30 to the sound of strange birds and new sounds. I new as soon as I woke up that i was really in Japan. I was anxious to leave the room and meet the new world.
Tonight I finally gave my host parents their gifts. Perhaps I wasted too much time to give them the gifts. Note to self: do it right away next time! Also, I can't believe how much these guys eat! I can hardly finish my meals. Maybe they are feeding me more...no, that's not it, they eat the same-sized meals but much faster. I don't know how they do it. Maybe because they've been eating those-sized meals their whole lives. Maybe I'll get used to it.
Today Kento showed me how to ride this cool board thing (look at pics) and I kindof figured it out. More practice is needed--like my Japanese.
Today when we were returning on the train I looked up into the glass and in shock looked at my own face with it's big eyes. Maybe I stick out a little!
Yeah I'm leaving a little out. Daijoubu!

1 comentario:

Tomatican dijo...

Nice way to wakeup, we are all jealous here!!