viernes, 7 de septiembre de 2007

The Day After Yesterday





Yesterday was a long day......but it was awesome! Lets start at the beginning. I started the day really early. AS usual I woke up around 6:30 (I don't know if it's still the jet lag but I feel absolutely awake at that time) I had breakfast and set out like the other day--expecting no problems this time--towards 一宮駅 (Ichinomiya station). I parked my bike among the thousands of others and casually made my way onto the train. I had so much time! It was just past 8 and I didn't have to be at the school until 9:45. But then things went really wrong... The train stopped at Nagoya like it has for the last couple of days but everyone and I mean EVERYONE got off. So here I am the only one left on the train. What can I do but get off? All I knew at that point was there was no way to get to Kanayama (where I would transfer to the 地下鉄 subway). I lie, I knew one more thing (or so I thought): all trains stop at Kanayama 金山. So i just moved over two platforms to hop on a train. When the train started off I heard the conductor say: "Kanayama made" which means, "ending at Kanayama, and I thought that all was well. The first thing to go wrong was that the train curved off to the right. I should have known then. It basically stopped at every other possible stop there was in the area before it made its final stop not at Kanayama...but Kaneyama かめやま!(see pics) By the time I had turned around, jumped on the right train to Kanayama, and arrived at Nanzan University 南山大学, it was just about 12!!! I had completely missed the morning session!! Frickin'
Oh well, all's well that ends well someone once said, and they could not be more right! Yesterday night was the only remedy to my morning. After my afternoon orientation me and the "cool" people headed out to eat in Sakae 栄 to eat and relax. We headed out to a restaurant that had the word tororo in its name. Our two Japanese guides were really helpful with ordering food. Keiko and Natsumi even reserved a room at a Karaoke bar. Maybe I'll have some pictures of them later. They hold a weekly coffee hour at 南山大学 that I think i'll try to attend.
The food was really good and actually pretty cheap (like $5 本当!) So basically if I ever go back to 栄市 I will have to check out that place again. But surely I will go to JoyJoy again!
   I am so happy that we went to the Karaoke bar! You have to try them at least once! At first--when we were all fully conscious of what we were doing--it was hard to get people to start singing...it got easier...somehow. I sang Bohemian Rhapsody with Kevin and then Help with Regina. Regina told me that Kevin said I was "one of those good kids" and I'm not too sure what he meant by that. Surely it was a compliment. If you go to a Karaoke bar, be sure to mind how many drinks 酒 you have. They don't really kick into high-gear until you are out of the bar and walking home. eh heh... I really have to thank our tour guides though. They really were there for all of us 100% to the end. I have more video of the karaoke bar than I have pictures. Others took pictures. The cost for the rooms and all-u-can-drink was 1300円 or about $11 which I will hands-down support.
I got back late though, around 11:30. I told my host mom that I'd be back around 9pm so you can see that it could have been a big problem. But they seemed to pass it off, either way...I'll tell them that I'll be back later next timeね。

1 comentario:

Tomatican dijo...

YEAH DRAGO !!...PARTAYYYY!!!