domingo, 9 de septiembre de 2007

思う






またね。。。these biting mosquitoes. Ok, food is the subject of this entry.
Japanese people are HUGE on the food scene! It's amazing すごい. Seriously though, if you're not eating you're watching someone prepare something then eat it on TV...or you're doing both. Then, at the table you get served a bunch of tiny platefuls of amazingly tasty food that doesn't look like a lot at first but it becomes obvious (very quickly) at how much it really is. My host mom finished her meal in about 15minutes or so, my father in about the same...and me?? I was about halfway through my meal! Did they eat less? no. Did they use forks? no. They just scarf the stuff down! It actually is more amazing than disgusting (it is actually not disgusting at all) because 1) they use chopsticks, and 2) they don't use napkins. Yup, no napkins anywhere.
Back to the TV thing. I don't know how it is in other houses but here the TV is on just about 24/7 and like I said, most of those 24 hours are food. Oh and the TV commercials are hilarious!! Hilarious. "ここじゃない!ここじゃなーいーあーい!” Oh so funny. But yeah, maybe they think that I need to be constantly eating or something. I know that I have it good though because the guys in the dorms are droolin at the mouth for a bite of what I'm getting treated to. My host mom always asks me" してえる Or している”which I know --even if I can't spell it, means"do you/have you ever know/recognize this" or something similar. Now, I'm kindof getting annoyed by it but the truth of the matter is that I have not seen most of the food anyway! I'm not a huge seafood guy but it's the only way here --海道 you might say--eat or die. Heck, I had octopus today...yesterday??? いつ。。。わすれった。
とにかく、Today was amazingly fun. I just hung around with my family and talked (with the help of a newly acquired 電気辞書. That might be the wrong kanji for an electric/pocket dictionary...We talked about differing customs, I worked on my kanji with Kento, we folded origami, read One Piece, and watched some sumo wrestling. めっちゃ楽しかったよ。It was a lot of fun. After the kids all left my host dad whipped out the Do-you-know-who-dropped-the-bomb on-Hiroshima question. Nice and awkward. "America...." I told him that I wanted to see Hiroshima, and I really do, and that made things a little less awkward. He showed me a picture of his class from that year--1945--and he told me a little about the feelings that he had at the time and the fear of the B-29 bombers. It was a strange feeling, being on the other side of the war... I was a ashamed of our country at that moment. Thinking that a bunch of 8-year-olds were fearing for their life and that America was to blame.
No pictures today. I took some yesterday though. Check out my town! Gonishi Fukumori Yamoto-cho, Ichinomiya-shi, Aichi-ken, Japan. ごにし福森大和町一宮市愛知県日本。

1 comentario:

rbenne2 dijo...

hiroshima talks would be really awkward...but it's good that they know we aren't all like that. haha sumo wrestling. your mom is probably going to think you're crazy when you ask her to make some octopus for dinner :]