miércoles, 10 de octubre de 2007

What do I write here? Hi! Welcome to my Blog!





For those of your just joining me, thank you. I am in Japan. I write stuff online for kicks and for later reference and maybe, just maybe, for someone to actually learn something. The big thing in today's news: TOYOTA: トヨタ factory!!!
Basically today that's all I did besides a little bit of class in the morning. We left 南山 at about 1pm heading towards the plant. We made it there in about 45 minutes. The tour was short but I was able to see the entire plant assembly process (or at least the most interesting parts). Thinking about it, it would be pretty strange to work in that factory knowing that at any moment some tourist might be watchin your every move...judging you! Actually there was this one worker that tried to look cool but just about got clothes-lined by a steel rod as she worked. Our tour guide was 親切 and her accent was impressively well worked out save for a few words. She alwasy asked some kind of obvious and almost insulting question like "At eye level there are doors. Can you see the doors?" Basically the doors were bright colors and about 10 feet in front of us so there was no way we COULDN'T see them. Now asking that kind of a question once is ok, twice is almost expected if she did it once, but sooooo many times our visual and mental capabilities were challenged with nearly insultingly かんたん easy questions like that. It was fun.
No pictures!!! (they said) You can clearly see how that worked out for me. The womens bathrooms were entirely pink-including the toilets (or so I heard). 95-97% of the work in Toyota is done by robots (which was basically my preconception of how i thought all of Japan would be run but really isn't). Only quality control and some parts attachment is done by manual labor. It was all very clean. There even was a short Q&A at the end where some...questions were...answered. Ok, after the walking tour was over I was ready to go back home because that was where the fun ended (except for this cool, instrument-playing robot in the showroom) I was tired after the tourからです。
But now I'm home and writing to you, Mr./Mrs. New. I hope you enjoyed this short entry and the couple pictures. Stay tuned for more. Weekend excursions come to mind.

1 comentario:

Tomatican dijo...

In the short Q&A at the end I would have probably asked her to expand a little bit on the importance of those bright color doors you guys run into so much...