sábado, 8 de diciembre de 2007

Daft Punk and a Saturday night...

The coolest thing that has happened lately was the Daft Punk concert that I went to see last Thursday. Believe me though when I say that it was an ordeal to get out there. I suppose those who know me would just say,"well, yea...you got lost or something right?" because that's just what I do when I go to a foreign place (let alone a foreign country). So we, Megan and I, left right after class at 12:50 to catch a bus that was leaving at 1:25. So that's not so bad if the station is like 20 minutes away and you already bought a ticket....but when I do things like this I make sure the station is 30 minutes away and my ticket IS NOT bought. That's my way. Somehow we caught the bus right before it pulled away at 39 after. I have no idea how we got so lucky...
We arrived in Kobe about 3 hours later and then went looking for our capsule hotel before we would head out to the World Memorial Center for the concert. First we headed south instead of north before finally turning around and finding the hotel about an hour after our arrival. Unfortunately, and even you who know all about me will think that this is strangely unlucky even for me, the capsule hotel was closed down! They have a running website with pictures and accommodation information and everything; there is even a description of their sauna! In any case we were out of a bed for the night! What to do!! We must have walked around for another hour before finally, finally reaching a hotel...that wasn't really a hotel. In Japan there are these places called Manga Cafes where some lovers of manga can come relax for a few minutes or for hours at a time reading any selection from the library of books that they often carry, using the internet, watching TV, grabbing some snack from the snack bar, or just relaxing for a while.
Now after 11pm a manga cafe also has one other attractive option, which Megan and I took advantage of Thursday night, the All-Nighter. Walk in, grab a ticket and choose a booth, and it's yours until 7am when you turn in your ticket and they charge you not $30, not $20, but roughly $12 for the night! Whooooooooooooooo yeah! whadda deal! But, I'm getting ahead of myself! Let's step back to the main event: Daft Punk!
First of all, I never go to concerts. I don't really know why, it's just never really been something that I was interested in paying for. I have seen Flogging Molly but that was free with a student ID (or really cheap $10...i forget.) and I went to The Basilica Block Party but that was a generous treat from my sister. So this was an exceptional purchase on my part. The line for the concert was huge! It wrapped all the way around this MASSIVE stadium and then some. Once inside the place the immensity of the even became even more clear as thousands of fans flowed in around me. One of the 4 opening acts was playing. One opening act, Boom Boom Satellite, was especially amazing.
Then the lights dimmed and the music started and the crowd went wild! "Robot! Human! Robot! Human!" Blared in everyone's ears, the lighting illuminated the pyramid-shaped DJ booth, and two human/robot-shaped shadows emerged. It was the beginning of a very amazing night. The concert was about an hour and a half long and I took some video. I'm trying to put that online now. Some of the best parts: The fight that broke out at the beginning between the biggest Japanese dude I had ever seen and this guy that must have been hitting on the big dude's boyfriend or something; the one random Japanese friend that I made during the concert who kept telling スゲェ!; the finale and the light-up suites that they wore for it. All of it combined with the constant beats of Around the World, Technologic, and the like made coughing up the dough and skipping Friday's morning classes totally worth it.
Somehow I mustered up enough energy to go out on Friday to Mallory's host house to watch scary movie before i crawled back home to crash. Then yesterday I did this speech thing for a guy, Kenji, that invited me to talk about my experience in Japan and the contrast between Notre Dame and 南山大学。 でもちょっとつまらなかったんだ。 そだけどスピーチのおかげで料理作り方本をくれた!後、6:00に友達マキとマサヒロを八事で会いに行って全然見つけなかったので金山駅へ行って音楽を聞きたりある日会った人と話したりしました。楽しかった。 でも友達と会わなかってざんねんだ。 I got home late and went to bed.
Dad, you'll be happy to hear that I gave the fam the penny hockey game and they all really liked it. It was fun to build and even Satsuki helped! (She never wants to do anything with me! She even played a couple games with me.)

Until next time!

No hay comentarios: