jueves, 22 de noviembre de 2007

風を吹く



As winter slowly wraps her cold hands around all of Japan, a few points are to be made concerning life here at this time. Of course, random bits of information are also included. First, a little comment about Kyoto's entry: it turns out that the gate at Nanzen that I climbed up and into was one of the most famous gates in all of Japan! Whodda thunk?! That's typical me...and my dad I suppose (Taj Mahal?) Anyway...
It's getting colder...the wind will blow cold air now. The bike rides have become somewhat unpleasant in the morning wind and my fingers start to bite me from being exposed for too long. I am definitely going to invest in a pair of gloves soon! Now, that's all expected and well considering the month of the year we are in now, but consider this unfortunate truth: the Japanese home that I am living in (and many others, from what I have heard) do not have a central heating system...NOR any concept of insulation! I am almost certain that, except for the lack of wind, my room's temperature is nearly the same on one side of the wall as it is on the other. Now, I exaggerate...a little...but it is pretty cold here. I always need to wear long-sleeves or a sweatshirt if I'm not in the living room where they have the heater. Yes, that's true, thank god they have a heater. I'll admit it, Japan has thought of some pretty clever ways to beat the cold indoors: you can buy tables here that include the option of inserting a futon inside it that spreads out around it and over your legs while you sit to eat/study...but the best part is that the table has a built-in heater underneath it to really keep your legs and toes toasty! Second, a step down but still very convenient are the heat mats that you can buy to put under the dinner table. These are basically like heat blankets but spread out on the floor to keep your butt warm---気持ちいい! There is also this one floor heater that they use...not to mention the thick futons that you can use...there are ways to stay warm, really, but you never forget that winter is just about here.
Now a couple random things. Last tues/mon I watched a Raku-go performance. These are traditional folktales that are told by a single actor while sitting on a zabuton [ざぶとん] or futon-for-sitting and using only a handkerchief, 扇子, and their arsenal of voices and facial expressions. Only their upper body is in movement during the performance. It was really cool especially because the actors were 南山学生。They acted out Jugemu (the boy with the ridiculously long name) and The Cat's Plate. The first became increasingly funny as the poor Rakugoka had to keep saying the name faster and faster. She never messed up either, that was awesome. I was able to get 95% of it on video before I ran out of tape (unfortunately I feel that the last 5% was very important, but once you watch it you'll get the idea after a few recitations.
Oh and today I wore a suit. No reason for it except that I wanted to. I even got a friend of mine, Rodney Reynosa, to join in on my suit-wearing and we both pretended that we were the two characters from Pulp Fiction: Vince and Jules (I was Vince). I guess he thought I looked like John Travolta! I can't even count how many times I was asked (in both Japanese and English) why I was wearing a suit...it bothered me so much!! I hope I never ask why someone is doing something like what I did today. In matters of fashion and such for example. Everyone is their own person so asking why they are wearing something is just dumb. They're wearing that because they want to or something. I know I ask the question myself though....
I think that just about ends this entry. There are still many tasty foods to eat here: Black bean juice (yum), dried salty moldy seaweed (not so yum), and Red-bean-paste-filled fish-shaped waffles (yum, but be careful 'cuz they're hot!). I really like the red bean-paste here. I am definitley going to bring some home.
Notre Dame is deliciously treating all of her Nanzan students to a dinner in Tokyo on her tab. So I'm off to Tokyo again tomorrow after class for a couple more days in the Big Sushi.

Notes: The WOnderful fall picture is from a small temple very near my house. It was especially beautiful because all the leaves were a bright red. The food is a 特別な料理 that my host mom won a prize for some years ago (the rice & fish) and a loaf of apple bread that she whipped up one day (yum). Lastly the picture with the two people in it is of Guy Wolfing and my friend Yuka. This was lunch on Monday or Tuesday I think. Oh yeah and HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone back home!

No hay comentarios: