viernes, 31 de agosto de 2007

August 13th

I have just returned from a trip out east to look for a school for my sister and upon return I have found a small host of items to complete before my September 2nd flight. First, I finally received my Certificate of Eligibility that means that I have been officially accepted by Japan for travel into their country! With that certificate I also received a small packet of useful information sent directly from Nanzan. In the packet there contained an arrival schedule, useful information on alien registration, tips on taking care of myself physically and psychologically while abroad, along with a list of emergency numbers. Other information that was forwarded included another packet that briefly covered tips for staying with a Japanese family and even the names of my host parents! What more the packet contained the official letter of accpetance by the Director Richard F. Szippl (very Japanese) of Nanzan--yes!
If that wasn't enough my host parents even sent me a short letter (in English) welcoming me into their home! They seem like a very nice family with children and grandchildren and I can't wait to get to know them better. The BEST part was the picture that they included in their letter--now I can at least see two familiar faces when I step off the plane.
Those were my pleasant discoveries, these were my exciting responsibilities: Student Visa & Arrival Information. I need a student visa to study in Japan. In order to obtain such a visa I needed to consolidate four key documents and send them to my consulate in Chicago: 1) My Passport 2)A completed visa application form, 3) One passport-sized photographed affixed to the application form, 4) The original certificate of Eligibility, and 5) A photocopy of the CofE both front and back. Luckily my passport was in perfect working order, making the filling out the application form--which can be found on the website of your consulate--a breeze. I took a picture and attached it where it told me to, slid the Certificate and its copies along with a return envelope in the mailbox and I had successfully completed the final and most crucial pre-departure step.
Some points that I had trouble filling out in the application form included one space which asked me name some specifics of my passport information: First, most people have Ordinary (not Diplomatic or Official) passports; Second, my Reference in Japan ended up being the Program Administrator of Nanzan Ms. Daisy Montessa.
The last sheet of paper that I will send, via-fax, is my arrival information. Some months ago I confirmed my flight information in Notre Dame's Anthony Travel and the confirming e-mail became quite useful in this step. The form is very self-explanatory and possibly the least confusing of all the forms I have had to fill out, albeit it tending to ask for the same information when clearly the flight number would not change from take-off to landing (or maybe I'm in for a rude awakening!)
A couple more weeks until I'm off. I have to think about clothing, money, gifts for my hosts and their family, and studying-studying-studying! Until next time. Sayoonara

No hay comentarios: